Thursday 9 February 2012

Numbers and superlatives

113 days ago I got on a plane bound for Lima, Peru. And now, I am sitting on a bus headed for Sao Paulo, Brazil with just 13 days left before I catch a plane from Rio and head north. In many ways it feels longer, in a few, shorter.

In our 4 months we have visited 7 countries. (Peru, Bolivia, Chile (for 3 days), Ecuador, Colombia, Argentina (for 3 days), Brazil). I think we toured Peru and Ecuador the most thoroughly (minus the glalapogos...next time..).

Argentina and Chile both had delicious food but were just too expensive to stay in. Along with the Gallapagos, I think they will require a separate trip one day...

Colombia was the biggest surprise-- we didn't really realize how excellent it would be and all of the things to do there. Bolivia also impressed us with fantastic scenery (and so many superlatives-- highest capital city, poorest) and a wealth of untaken adventures. I would love to go back to either country again and keep exploring.

People have been kind where ever we go, but Colombia and Brazil have been the winners for sure. Friendly, smiling, generous, kind, helpful-- just great.

Peru and Bolivia had the most colorful locals-- lots of traditional dress with the Otovallans in Ecuador of course getting a mention. I think generally, the richer the country, the less traditional dress. This was most noticeable leaving Bolivia (very poor) for Chile (one of the richest countries in SA).

Bolivia was the cheapest-- but also the most basic. A hostel might only be $5 but bring your own toilet paper and soap. Colombia and Brazil have been the most expensive, and I think would be most of the time, but we were also there during high season, which didn't help.

As for best and worst things to do... I'm going to wait till I have 12 hours in transit to get back home to snowy Canada and have done all I can do before I tackle those.



Location:South America

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave me/us a comment, an leave your name too : )