Thursday 10 November 2011

Bolivia doth protest

Sitting in a cafe called "Namas te" (I do love a pun) and reading about Bolivia's history of protests. Of note:
-gas prices too high in 2000 leads to highway blockade for weeks
-civilian deaths and export of gas at the hands of the president leads to his resignation (and then he fled to the USA, which won't extradite him...)
-rising gas prices again = 10,000s in the streets protesting

Today's travels lead me to the government square where I may have seen politicians and not known it. I did observe what seemed to be some current protesting.



Cause (according to the lawyer on the bench next to me): that their school has no water. (Led by a zebra- the mascot of La Paz it seems...)



And here, "Ardaya is a puppet of Chile". (Ardaya being a minister of boarders or customs, I did a quick google and that's all I found) This was just outside the official square.

Location:La Paz

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave me/us a comment, an leave your name too : )